Webinar Consumers’ Association: How to arm yourself against phishing
The current digitization brings many advantages. A lot of work is taken out of our hands and we save valuable time. Unfortunately, scammers have now shifted their field of work from the offline to the online world. They operate more and more sophisticated and the estimations for the damage they cause runs into millions. In the Netherlands only, tens of thousands of victims are affected. The loss per victim ranging from 100 up to 2500 euros.
To protect citizens against this modern kind of crime, the Consumers’ Association recently organized a webinar about phishing. This is a common form of fraud on the Internet, where a seemingly trustworthy entity such as a bank, sends fake e-mails with the aim to steal money of the receiver.
Because the ‘traditional’ phishing mail was increasingly recognized as fake, scammers switched to the so-called ransom mail, a mail with a malicious attachment that blocks all files of the receiver. For unblocking the files, a penalty is demanded.
How does phishing really work? How do you recognize it? And what can you do about it? At the end of the webinar (spoken language: Dutch), you have answers to all these questions. During the webinar, you can take part in an interesting quiz in which the Consumers’ Association tests whether you can differentiate genuine mails from fake ones.
Watch the webinar (spoken language: Dutch).
Tips to detect phishing:
- Visit fraudehelpdesk.nl or contact the sender of the message.
- Check the link! Pay attention to domain name, dots and slashes.
- Pay attention to suspicious attachments; do not open them.
- Check the email address of the sender.
- Be extra alert with messages that create a sense of urgency, such as messages on banking, payment collections, fines, bills, missed deliveries of packages, printer scans and car damage reports.
- An impersonal salutation is suspect, a personal salutation is no guarantee.
- Language or typing errors can be a clue.
- For payments: check that the account number and the sender correspond.
Organize a webinar
Contact our business development managers to learn more about our digital healthcare solutions.
HD webinars in HTML5 technology!
OnlineSeminars most innovative webinar platform of Europe is completely renewed!